Photobucket

7/6/08

Produced by: Stephen Garrett a.k.a. Static Major (R.I.P.)

Photobucket


It's pretty insane that one of the biggest hits in recent memory features a person who is deceased, and no one seems to know, or pay any recognition...that's why I writing this blog. I wasn't too familiar with his works, but after watching the Lollipop video and seeing the "R.I.P." at the end, I wanted to do some homework. Not only was Static Major a producer, he was also an accomplished singer and song writer, and has been in the game for over 10 years. Here's a list of some of the songs he's produced (according to his myspace and other sources). Seems like he was doin some ghost producing for a guy who we all know very well. He was also a member of the R&B group Playa.

Genuine - Pony
Cheers 2 U - Playa
Luv 2 Luv Ya - Timbaland & Magoo
Are You That Somebody - Aaliyah
So Anxious - Genuine
U Owe Me - Nas & Genuine
Back in One Piece - Aaliyah
We Need a Resolution - Aaliyah
More than a Woman - Aaliyah
Rock the Boat - Aaliyah
So Addictive - Truth Hurts
Pretty Ricky - On the Hotline


I thought this was a good local news story on Static Major,
even though they said one of the bands he worked with was Genuine.




Here's a couple songs he produced...

We forgive you Nas. This song eventually grew on me, but
I think I speak for all of us when I say, I'm glad you could make it back.


Y'all know what this is



I can't front! I Love this beat!



Her Best Song in my opinion. I'll always ask...did you have to shoot a video?! and why not just do it in New York like every one else! (R.I.P.)


I always thought Truth Hurts was one of the worst names for an R&B singer, and I also thought she looks like she could be my aunt, or elementary school teacher. Also, this song introduced the High anticipation of the return of Rakim and Dr. Dre, which...you know...never really...



Classic...



>VIBE Article

>MissXpose Article


>Hip Hop-Elements Article


You know how I feel about Dilla, and most people now realize how we was the soundtrack for so many successful artist that receive way more recognition from the mainstream that he ever will, but it's also notable that Static Major was very similar in that regard. Lil' Wayne will get the credit for Lollipop, and Timbaland will always be the producer associated with the Late Great Aaliyah, but I hope his contributions will be remembered and recognized by artists and fans worldwide. He will be missed.

2 comments:

Mr.1derful said...

great post, this dudes tracklist speaks for itself. he was not even underated, he's was under the radar. ghost producing is such a shady part of the industry, especially in his regard, but sems like he was lowkey, so he didnt mind, which i highly respect. also, i thought quik produced truth hurts..shady. anywho, thx for the post, nobody is talkin' about this.

Haylow said...

Mos definitely, man.