Photobucket

6/13/08

Song Request Etiquette

Aiight, so I'm DJing last night, and someone walks towards the booth. What goes through my mind is it could be only one of a few things. Maybe its an artist tryin to give me a cd of him and his boys, maybe its someone givin me props on my set (not likely in this day and age when DJs are vastly underappreciated) or maybe it's the DJ's worst enemy...the thing he/she hates more than anything in the world..the REQUEST. Now usually I don't mind request, and sometimes I am in favor of them, but sometimes they make me wanna just pack up my shit and leave.

ONE OF THE WORST REQUESTS happened last night, which inspired me to write this blog. Some one asked me for a 50 Cent song that is on Youtube. Yes, YOUTUBE! I told him I can't play it, and he said, "Why Not?" This one trumps all of my past bullshit requests, including Badbrains and the song "Shout", just because it's in some other format! this also narrowly defeats my favorite, yet common request of "Can you play something we can dance to?" No joke, once this woman asked me "Can you play something more RYTHMIC?

Now, for those of you who are guilty of making requests, don't trip. I'm not gettin on you, but lemme explain myself. Here is some SONG REQUEST ETIQUETTE that you may want to follow. So next time when you request a song (or two or three in some cases), and you see the DJ give you a stare down, or you see him roll his eyes and sigh, you'll know why.

1. Know where you're at
If you go to an event, and if it's promoted as a Classic Soul night, and I'm playing Classic Soul like Stevie Wonder, or Marvin Gaye, or James Brown, DO NOT ask me for Lil Wayne "Lollipop". Just like if I'm playin some Timbaland pop bullshit, don't ask me to play Atmosphere. (Trust me, this has actually happened)

2. DO NOT follow your request with "Can you play it next?"
This actually happens more than you think. Lemme say this loud and clear...THE DJ IS NOT A JUKE BOX! Even if you put a quarter in a jukebox, you STILL have to wait your turn.


3. Know the time
If it is 10:15, and people are filing into the club. DO NOT request Too $hort "Blow the Whistle". Trust me, it will be played sometime throughout the night, and it WILL NOT be played when people are standing in line.

4. Know the name of the song
I don't mind it when people don't know the name of the song they want to hear, and they try to sing lines of the song they're trying to request, but I think more times than not, you're embarrassing yourself. I remember when "In The Club" was out, people would say "do you have the Happy Birthday song?" or "Do you have that song, go shawty, its ya birthday?" Usually if someone says that, its accompanied by a dance and body motions.

5. We all seen House Party...DON'T TOUCH THE TURNTABLES!!

6. If I Don't have a song, I can't play it!
sometimes, people beg me to play a song, thinking it will magically appear in my hard drive.

7. If you request a song, and if I play it, YOU HAVE TO SHOW SOME GRATITUDE! There is no excuses. If someone requests a song, and if I see them sittin in a corner suckin their thumb, that pisses me off more than anything! You dont gotta cut a rug, not all of us are dancers, and I dont need a tip, cuz not all of us have money, but at least gimme a thank you, thumbs up, a point, a head nod, SOMETHING! I do NOT like people that are ungrateful.

8. DO NOT tell me how to do my job!
It definitely bothers me when someone comes up to me and says "I know what will get this party CRACKIN..." I appreciate lookin out, but DAMN, I don't go to your job and tell you what to do.

9. If a DJ is wearing Headphones and is looking at the turntables, unless the back of the club is on fire (literally) DO NOT talk to him. I ignore it, but other cats can get REAL pissed off

10. THANK YOUR LOCAL DJ!!


Club Go-ers, please take Heed. TRUST ME, ask any DJ you know and I'm sure they feel me on at least 8 out of 10 things I've listed.

DJs, I'd like to hear the WORST REQUEST YOU EVER GOT! If you have one, leave it in the comments!

6 comments:

Insomniac said...

lol - too true

(melanie)

kiwi said...

COSIGN!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hahahaa, I'm guilty when I first started goin out 19. I surly did a few from your list. Yes I'm GUILTY! That was when I had no sense. Awareness grows and All of yall have my deepest respect =) Keepin me movin n groovin til the mornin

Dion Decibels said...

HAHA!!! Yes we have talked about this many times my friend and I agree on all of em'. The stupidest one I just got was... Dj'n at Milk. Im playin' Mac Dre California Livin and this girl comes up to me and asks for some bay music I said this is Mac Dre she said I know I was like OK... I looked at other DJ & Security and they were in shock.

Haylow said...

Thats some funny ass shit, Dion. I've gotten that same thing a couple times myself! Some people think that Bay Area Rap consists of 6 songs, and you and I can probably name all 6!

Anonymous said...

The first instance that I knew I was gettin old in the game was when in 2002,I did a Tribe to DeLa to T.R.O.Y. to Black Sheep power set and in the middle of Check the Rhyme a cute gitl came up..(here I was feelin myself thinkin she was gonna say.."youre killin it" or " awww shit!")..she said.."umm excuse me..can you play some Hip Hop?... I tell ya' that was the beginning of the end...
Mr.E